A mix of good and bad news for anyone that uses Microsoft Windows on their computer.
Law enforcement agencies in 11 different countries have been working together to dismantle the controllers for two seperate but related pieces of malware, GoZeus & Cryptolocker.
How can I get protected?
- Make sure all patches for Microsoft Windows are installed
- Make sure you have anti-virus installed, up-to-date and working, from a reputable source
- In addition, make sure that you have installed, updated and run MalwareBytes or a similar tool.
- If you find you have been infected, make sure you change your passwords!!
- If you require your network to be professionally cleaned, or require more information, then please get in touch
Why is it two weeks?
The advice is tht it will take about two weeks for the criminal(s) behind the attacks to rebuild their illegal network of command and control servers.
What is GoZeus and Cryptolocker?
GoZeus will search your hard drive for files that may contain financial or sensitive information, and transfers this to the fraudsters. Cryptolocker gets installed to your machine and then encrypts your documents, which are only accesible once you have paid the ransom fee of approx $600.
What is a command and control network?
You are tricked into installing and running some software on your machine, normally installed as part of a link or download from a phishing email,this software sits and listens for instructions from remote servers. These remote servers receive and transmit information to and from the criminals network.